The 22nd EUROCALL conference will be held at the University of Padova in Italy from 26th to 29th August 2015.
The program will include individual papers, symposia, workshops, presentations on EU-funded projects, and posters.
EUROCALL conferences are hosted under the auspices of the EUROCALL Association. They bring together educators, researchers, PhD students, administrators, designers of software and language learning systems, policy makers and other professionals involved in Computer-Assisted Language Learning (CALL) around the globe.
The theme of this year’s conference is Critical CALL, fostering the notion that we now want to step back and critically appraise the field of CALL, to unpack and examine some of the assumptions that may have become ingrained in our practice, and also to reflect on the state of CALL and language pedagogy. There is also a need to take a critical stance and question what it is we are doing and whose interests we might be serving, since technology is not neutral, and nor is education. Inspired by those who advocate critical approaches to second language teaching, learning and assessment, especially when mediated by technology, we are particularly interested in contributions that look at the interdependence between language learning, power relationships and social change.
Papers on the following themes would be particularly welcome:
· Lessons learnt in CALL
· The constraints of CALL (institutional, financial, technological, social)
· Hegemonies in CALL
· Corpora and foreign language teaching and course design
· Learner corpora
· CALL for CLIL and Language Medium Instruction
· Interdisciplinarity and Internationalization through CALL
· Telecollaboration and CMC
· CALL and less commonly taught languages
· CALL, inclusion and social justice
· Digital and critical literacies
· Open educational resources
· MOOCs for language learning
· Mobile Assisted Language Learning (MALL)
· Gaming and virtual worlds
· Learning analytics and CALL design
· Online testing and assessment
· Teacher education and professional development
· Evaluating CALL research
Keynote speakers at EUROCALL2015 will be:
-Sìan Bayne (University of Edinburgh) on critical approaches to ICT
-Lynn Mario Menezes de Souza (Universidade de Sao Paulo)
-Robert O’Dowd (Universidad de León, Spain)
Proposals for Papers, Symposia, European Projects, Workshops and Posters must be submitted online via the EUROCALL submission system which is now open. The submission system will close on 15th February 2015.
Abstracts may be submitted in English or Italian.
Authors of accepted presentations are requested to submit a short paper (1,500 words) for publication in the online conference proceedings, and may also submit an extended version for peer-reviewed publication in ReCALL or the EUROCALL Review. Details will follow shortly.
Deadline for submissions of proposals: 15th February 2015
Notification of acceptance: 31st March 2015
Early-bird Registration ends: 31st May 2015
Deadline for submissions of short papers for proceedings: 30th June 2015